Residents must leave their room or suite as it was found upon Check-In. This includes removing all personal property, refuse, and discarded material. Any belongings discovered in rooms after the occupancy period has ended shall be deemed abandoned and may be disposed of by the University.
Columbia Housing prohibits the removal or alteration of furnishings, fixtures, appliances and locks provided by the University. In addition, common area furnishings, fixtures and appliances may not be removed under any circumstances.
The resident and/or fraternity/sorority shall reimburse Housing for all damages and expenses that Housing may suffer or incur for repair to the assigned space, its furnishings or facilities or the furnishings or facilities of the residence halls/brownstones, caused by the resident’s misconduct or neglect or by the misconduct or neglect of the resident’s guests. Charges for any damages or expenses incurred in an assigned space, or on a floor within the residence halls, or in any other space contracted for, will be divided equally among the residents thereof unless specific liability is assumed by the person(s) responsible. There is a minimum charge of $10 per occurrence. In the case of fraternity/sorority-occupied brownstones, the chapter may be charged.
Check-Out related fees and charges include, but are not limited to:
- $15 for each unreturned hard key and $50 for lock changes
- $100 for the first hour after the scheduled Check-Out time and $50 for each additional hour. This includes late Check-Out using Web Check-Out via the Housing Portal.
- Charges for additional cleaning, if required
- Charges for replacing or repairing missing or damaged furnishings, fixtures, or appliances
- Charges for removal of abandoned or damaged property
- Charges for any conditions other than fair wear and tear not recorded in the original WIR.
All fees will be charged to the resident’s student account.
Upon Check-Out, students no longer have access to the residence halls. Therefore, if a student wishes to return to any building on campus, they must be signed in by a resident. If a student signs in without authorization, they will be subject to fines and/or disciplinary action.
If you have any questions, please contact the Hartley Hospitality Desk.
Check-out dates for the current academic year can be found in the Housing Calendar.
A resident will be recorded as having checked out only after completing all of the following: