- Students may cancel their request to live on campus for the Fall Term up until room assignment with no fee.
- Following these dates, cancellation fees for returning students will be assessed as outlined below.
- Cancellations can be requested via the Housing Portal as detailed at the bottom of this page.
- Please note: International students who are approved and assigned housing, but find later that they have travel or visa issues will not be assessed a cancellation fee.
Fall Term 2021
- Room Assignment
- May 31
- June 1
- June 30
- July 1
- July 31
- August 1
- After Check-In
- October 16
- Post October 16
- No refund
The Terms and Conditions of a resident's Occupancy Agreement are binding for the entire occupancy period. However, under certain circumstances, Columbia Housing permits the termination of the Occupancy Agreement and thus the cancellation of housing, as set forth in the Occupancy Agreement.
A resident who desires to terminate their Occupancy Agreement must complete the cancellation step on the Housing Portal and complete the requirements for Check-Out. The resident will continue to be charged for occupancy until the date on which check-out is complete and Housing has received the cancellation notice. Please note that notice of withdrawal, or cancellation of admission or registration to other University offices does not constitute notice of cancellation to Housing.
Cancellation fees will be waived for required military service, medical leave of absence, withdrawal or graduation from the University, and Housing may waive fees at its discretion. Learn more about leaves of absence.
Students can cancel housing through the Housing Portal.
- Log into the Housing Portal
- Select the application to be cancelled (e.g., academic year, summer)
- Choose “cancel application" from the drop-down menu
- Sign and agree to the cancellation terms
If you cannot access the Housing Portal to cancel your application, please contact the Columbia Housing team Monday-Friday at 212-854-2946 or by email.