Residents must complete the following in order to officially Check-In:
- Complete the Housing Portal Occupancy Agreement Step.
- Obtain the appropriate suite and/or room keys, or access via University ID.
- Obtain a building security sticker, which allows access to their residence hall if the access system is down.
- Complete the Housing Portal Web Inventory Report (see below).
The Web Inventory Report (WIR) is a form Housing uses to check residents for liability charges for any attributable damages or missing items in the room during the term of occupancy.
WIR Completion Schedule:
The beginning of the Academic Year 2018/19 Housing period until September 15, 2018 – All Residents.
WIR Completion Instructions:
- Log into the Housing Portal and click on the "Inventory" tab.
- Select the Inspection titled "AY 2018-2019 Inspection Run" for the appropriate housing period and click "Review." If you do not see the room you are currently assigned to, please email Housing.
- You will have 15 minutes to complete the report from the time the Inventory Report page is loaded. Review each Inventory Type in your inspection run and determine whether the condition of the item at the start of your occupancy is good or not good. If the item’s condition is good, then check the box marked “Agree” on the right side of the row and do not include any additional comments. If the item’s condition is not good, do not check the box marked “Agree” and include a description of the problem in the “Comments” field. If the item listed is not available for your room, please type "N/A" in the comments field and do not check the box marked "Agree".
- When finished with your Web Inventory Report, click “Save and Continue” at the bottom of the page. It is normal to get the “Not Accepted” status if you did not agree to all items being in good condition or available in your room. After clicking "Save and Continue," you will receive an email confirming your completion of the WIR.
- Please note that damages or missing items recorded on a WIR upon Check-In will still need to be reported to Facilities for repair and are not automatically repaired and/or replaced upon submission of the WIR. Any problems requiring service must be reported by completing a Maintenance Request.
*Emergencies should not be reported on the Web Inventory Report. All emergencies should be reported by contacting the Hospitality Desk at 212-854-2779.
Housing will review the room inventory at Check-Out to verify that nothing was damaged during their term of occupancy. All damages not reported at the beginning of the occupancy will be subject to billing charges. Please note, failure to complete a Web Inventory Report makes a resident ineligible to contest any damage charges upon Check-Out. For more information, please see Damage/Vandalism.
Non-Seniors must vacate their rooms within 24 hours after the last exam or by 12:00 noon on the Saturday after exams, whichever is sooner. Seniors must vacate their room by 12:00 noon on the day following University Commencement.
If a resident does not vacate their room and check out by the scheduled time of 12:00 PM, they will be charged a late Check-Out fee of $100 for the first hour and $50 for each additional hour. This includes late Check-Out through the Web Check-Out via the Housing Portal. Housing employees will be verifying vacancies and invalidating room access immediately after a Web Check-Out is performed. In addition, any resident remaining in their room after 12:00 PM will be subject to late fees.
Residents will be recorded as having checked-out only after:
- All keys issued at Check-In have been returned, or access has been removed from their University ID, either by returning them with their check out envelope to the Check-Out Box near the security desk of their residence hall or at the Hartley Hospitality Desk. If residents fail to return their suite and/or room key(s), they will be charged $10 for each unreturned key and $50 for a lock change.
- Each resident must Check-Out via the Housing Portal. If you live in a location with a key, the key must be placed in the provided envelope and returned in the Check-Out Box located in the building lobby or to the Hartley Hospitality Desk. Residents with electronic locks have room/suite access via the University ID card, but still need to perform a Web Check-out to confirm check-out from their room. For any questions, please contact Housing by sending an email or by calling the Hartley Hospitality Desk at 212-854-2779.
Upon check-out, students no longer have access to the residence halls. Therefore, if a student wishes to return to any building on campus, they must be signed in by a resident. If a student signs in without authorization, they will be subject to fines and/or disciplinary action.