Transgender Students

In order to create safer and more inclusive living environments for transgender students, Housing (in partnership with the Office of Multicultural Affairs, Residential Life, and Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action at Columbia) came together to provide a clearer process by which students can request a housing accommodation that is mindful of needs related to gender identity and expression.
Requesting a Housing Accommodation
Starting in Fall 2015, all housing applications will include a field called “Other Housing Needs” where any student can request housing needs they may have (e.g. single-use bathroom, single apartment). Transgender students requesting a housing accommodation should share what specific needs they have in this space.
All housing accommodations will be reviewed by Housing in partnership with Residential Life and campus partners and resources on a case-by-case basis in order to meet the needs of each student.  If you have any additional questions, please email
Open Housing
Open Housing is an arrangement whereby two students, regardless of sex assigned at birth, gender identity, or gender expression, are permitted to share a room in Columbia’s residence halls. The primary reason for such a policy is to provide housing options that take into consideration varying identities and preferences, and to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for all students.
Open Housing is open to rising sophomores, juniors, or seniors in CC or SEAS who are also at least 18 years of age and guaranteed housing. The option is also available to Barnard students who are at least 18 years of age and guaranteed housing in the buildings that are part of the CU/BC exchange (East Campus, 47 Claremont, and Ruggles). Open Housing is not available to incoming students, including first-year, combined plan, and transfer students.
Incoming first-year, combined plan, and transfer students who are not eligible for Open Housing are able to request a housing accommodation by sharing housing needs they might have in the section labeled “Other Housing Needs” on their application.
Please refer to the Open Housing page for further information.
For further information regarding housing accommodations or to request a housing accommodation outside of application cycles, contact Housing at or 212-854-2779. If you are in need of support during this process, please contact LGBTQ @ Columbia in the Office of Multicultural Affairs at or 212-854-1675.
Students seeking additional accomodations or support may contact the following campus partners and resources: