In Spring 2020, Room Selection is getting a major upgrade: the entire process will be online.
Columbia Housing, Residential Life and the Residence Hall Leadership Organization (RHLO) have been working together to modernize and simplify the Room Selection process. We want to give students more options and flexibility, reduce stress around the selection process, and just make things easier.
What does this mean?
Here are the key points you need to know:
- All of Room Selection will be online and in real time.
- Regroup will no longer be required: Groups will automatically pick the number of rooms or suites needed to accommodate their group size.
- Group size will be expanded to a maximum of 10.
- Lottery numbers will be categorized by class seniority, so it's easier to understand your ranking.
- The timeline will be extended to allow for more time to form groups and register, and there will be a longer selection period. The overall process will still take place from the end of February to the end of April.
- Barnard seniors can still choose to live with Columbia students in the residence halls, based on previously set guidelines.
- The process for special living communities like fraternities and sororities, Special Interest Communities, and the LLC will not change and will still take place separate from general Room Selection.
Our teams have been working together every step of the way, reviewing details of the process and sharing with groups like the student councils and Housing Advisory Committee to hear feedback. We're now testing the new system and assessing feedback received.
Have questions? Save the Date for 11/19
Save the date for the evening of November 19: all residents are invited to the RHLO general body meeting, where logistics will be presented and questions answered. More details to come. As in the past, information sessions will also be held in February.