Facilities Management handles maintenance and housekeeping requests for all residence halls and brownstones. For non-emergency maintenance requests, residents should submit a Maintenance Request online or contact the Hospitality Desk at 212-854-2779. To expedite service, please provide complete information and keep the confirmation email from Facilities Management for personal records—if a follow up is required. Every effort will be made to respond to all non-emergency work requests within three to fourteen working days. If the problem is not responded to within fourteen days, or if residents continue to have problems, contact the Hartley Hospitality Desk at 212-854-2779.
47 Claremont, 548 W. 113th Street, 600 W. 113th Street, Carlton Arms, Harmony Hall, and SIC House
- Elevators: If an elevator requires maintenance, contact the Hospitality Desk at 212-854-2779. If someone is trapped in an elevator, contact Public Safety at 212-854-2797.
- Heat: Climate control of the residence halls and brownstones must satisfy city codes and the University energy policy while adapting to variations in the outside temperature. As such, from October 1 to May 31, between the hours of 6:00am and 10:00pm, whenever the outside temperature falls below 55°F, an average temperature of 68°F is maintained within the residence halls. Between the hours of 10:00pm and 6:00am, whenever the outside temperature falls below 40°F, an average temperature of at least 55°F is maintained within the residence halls and brownstones. For information on how to adjust the heat in an individual residents’ room, please see the following instructions:
- Broadway, Carman, East Campus, Furnald, and Schapiro: Turn the blower fan to one of several operating speeds.
- 600 W. 113th St., Harmony, Ruggles, Wien, Woodbridge, and Brownstones: Our systems do not allow for full regulation of the heating system. Attempting to adjust the radiator valve in residents’ personal rooms will manipulate the heat for the entire building. This impacts the ability for heat flow to every room, traps the air, and causes loud banging pipes.
- McBain: Utilize white-colored numbered temperature control valves to adjust the heat flow emitting from your radiator.
- 47 Claremont and Watt: Radiator Labs equipment is installed in your building to help regulate heat. Please avoid tampering with Radiator Labs equipment or any radiator valves. To learn more about Radiator Labs please visit radiatorlabs.com.
- Hartley, Wallach, Hogan, John Jay, and River: The heating systems connect several suites and rooms to one control valve, and it is difficult to shut off heat in any one room as long as heat is being delivered to the building.
- Electricity: Power failures are most often due to an overloaded circuit. Contact the Hospitality Desk at 212-854-2779 to report this problem. For fire safety, and for the protection of residences’ appliances, we recommend the following:
- Do not overload electrical outlets; only one appliance should be plugged into each socket in the outlet.
- Do not use multiple extension cords.
- Do not operate two or more high-amperage appliances simultaneously (i.e. a computer and a hair dryer).
- Use a surge suppressor to protect personal computer and other sensitive electronic equipment.
- Replacing Light Bulbs: If a light bulb has burned out, residents may obtain a replacement by submitting an online Maintenance Request.
- Central Air Conditioning: Central Air Conditioning is active from approximately May 15 to October 1 each year in the following buildings: Broadway, Carman, East Campus, Furnald, and Schapiro. If the central air conditioning in a resident’s room is not functioning properly during a period when it should be active, please submit a Maintenance Request.
- Laundry Machines: Laundry machines are serviced regularly, but if a machine is out of order, please notify Hartley Hospitality Desk or submit a Laundry Maintenance Request. If residents lose money due to a machine malfunction, refund request forms are available at the Hartley Hospitality Desk.
- Window that cannot close
- Doors that cannot be secured or that will not allow access into the room
- Doors/Locks that are broken by the FDNY in emergency situations
- Lack of a single light source in which a temporary light source cannot be provided
- Power failure
- Stolen keys
- Clogged or overflowed toilet in a suite with a single toilet
- Lack of a single heat source in which a temporary heat source cannot be provided
- The smell of gas
To report a maintenance emergency, please contact the Hartley Hospitality Desk at 212-854-2779. Do not place emergency requests online as this will only delay the response. If the Hospitality Desk cannot be reached, contact Public Safety at 212-854-5555, and they will inform the Hospitality Desk staff of the problem.