Give + Go Green
The EcoReps, in conjunction with Columbia Housing, have organized the Give + Go Green campaign to help make donating your stuff to local charities easy during Check-Out. Simply bring your unwanted items to a drop-off location instead of throwing them in the trash. We take care of the rest.
Donation bins are placed in select residence halls, with locations announced in the lead-up to Give + Go Green. In addition to donation bins, the EcoReps accept on-site donations at various campus locations in mid-May.
Items to Donate
Non-perishable food, kitchenware, appliances, accessories, books, small non-upholstered furniture, computers, and toiletries.
Supporting Local Charities
Broadway Community, St. John the Divine, Per Scholas, and more.
- 19,700 pounds of clothing and shoes to Goodwill and Wearable Collections
- 2,000 pounds of food to the Food Bank for New York City and City Harvest
- 2,000 pounds of toiletry products to Broadway Presbyterian
- 4,110 books for reuse, helping to keep knowledge out of the trash
Computer Reuse Program
Have a new computer? You can bring your old laptop, desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse to Give + Go Green or 202 Philosophy Hall. Email askcuit for more details.
Conditions for acceptable donations:
- Computer must not be older than 5 years
- All equipment must be intact
- Hard drive and battery must be working
- Computer must be able to be turned on
- Small cracks and scratches are ok; viruses or trojans are ok (we will remove them)
Other Donation Opportunities
In addition to donating through Give + Go Green, Columbia Housing residents wishing to recycle gently used clothing and shoes may deposit these items year-round in collection bins located across the residence halls. Visit the 'Donations' section of the Sustainability page for details and locations. Bins are provided by Wearable Collections, a NYC-based clothing recycling service that works to reduce textile waste.